Wednesday, November 11, 2009

So, how's married life?

Since getting married almost two months ago, one of the questions I always get (besides “when are you going to have kids????" The answer to that by the way is not for a few years at least!) is “so, how’s married life?"

And whenever I get asked that I don’t quite know what to say. Mostly, I just say “great.” Because it really is great. But I also feel like people are looking for a bit more. So I decided to satisfy all of your curiosity and list the top 10 best things about being married.

10) I have someone who makes me dinner. Seriously, Mattie is a pretty good cook. And like my mom says, he’s motivated because he really likes to eat.

9) I have no idea what type of filters our furnace takes and I have no intention of ever learning. It is really so wonderful to have a husband to take care of all of that for you!

8) I don’t have to change the cat box, or vacuum the floors. Seriously, division of the chores is such a blessing. Especially with our new house which is a lot bigger than my old apartment. Plus with two people, there is twice the mess, so twice the help has been wonderful.

7) Now before I make my husband sound like someone I married just so I can cook and clean less, I wanted to say that I really enjoy taking care of him and our house too. Something has really taken over me since I got married and I find so much joy in doing laundry, cleaning bathrooms and keeping everything clean and orderly for my husband and our home. It’s really a strange thing, but one of the things I love most.

6) I now have a built in cuddler for movie nights. After a long day at work, we both have really enjoyed just curling up and watching a movie after dinner. I feel like it’s a bonus date night in the middle of the week.

5) I also have a built in walking partner. Matt and I have really enjoyed exploring our neighborhood and just learning more about one another on our walks. We really try and get out every week and just take that time to be together.

4) Dreaming about the future. I absolutely love talking with Matt about our future plans together. Like Matt pursuing a career in firefighting, my future career opportunities, starting a family someday and growing together in the Lord. I know these conversations are helping shape our life together.

3) My own personal heater. This may sound silly, but Matt is so warm! I really love snuggling up close to him. Whether its sleeping at night or watching TV, I always joke that he is my own personal heater.

2) Having that last call of the day. It’s so great to always have that someone to call and say “I love you” to in the middle of a bad day. And always have that person there to kiss goodnight.

1) Just being married. It is really hard to describe, but I once heard in a movie that the reason people get married is to have witness to their life. Now I can kind of understand what that means, it’s such an amazing blessing to have someone to share all of your moments with. The good and the bad. All the days of our lives.

So there’s your answer.


2 comments:

  1. This is a great post! I love reading it and remembering how I felt right after being married, and still do now a lot of times.
    Also, I totally am with you on not having ANY intention of learning certain silly things like what kind of modem the computer needs. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post! I remember thinking a few weeks ago that my dh is my person I call for all things exciting and discouraging. Isn't it cool how the Lord gives you a best friend in your husband?

    ~S
    (friend of Dana's)

    ReplyDelete

2021 Year in Review

 2021. What a year! We went into the year oh so hopeful that we could start putting COVID behind us and return to "normal." Januar...