After all, I have yet to really experience Motherhood. Sure, I get the idea that there is an actual human life inside me, getting ready to come out, but there's a huge difference between knowing this and experiencing it first hand. So while I am feeling very flattered to be honored as a mom-to-be, in many many ways, I've yet to earn my stripes in the Mom club. I know this will be remedied soon though!
And I also get that the pregnancy period is a great way to transition into the role of a Mother. It's the first time you really start understanding what it is to sacrifice for someone else. Your body is taken over by this other life and you are constantly trying to make the best decision possible to ensure that your little one develops into a healthy baby. It's also the time you realize that no one is perfect, Mother's included. Have I eaten all of the vegetables that I should? Or kept as active as I should? Not so much, but you do the best you can.
This Mother's Day has also gotten me thinking a lot about all of the things that make a wonderful Mom as well as what God says a Mom should be. I spent some time this morning reading Proverbs 31 and was honestly pretty terrified by it all. Not only does it talk about what a Mom should be, but what wife should be. I know I'm not living up to that now as a wife, and what am I going to do when I'm a Mom? Will I be able to be as unselfish as I need to be? Will I be a good example of a Godly woman for my daughter? Will I help lead her to Christ?
A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still night;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
It's truly a beautiful picture but one that I'm sure many of us fall far short of. That was how I was feeling when my wonderful husband came to get me out of our room this morning to show me the surprise that he had prepared.
He then proceeded to lead me around the house where I found little notes and a rose in each location (kitchen, living room, bathroom, baby's rooms, etc.) and he wrote out why he loved me and appreciated me for the things that I do related to each of these areas. It was the most thoughtful and wonderful gift ever and I was very overwhelmed by emotion. I cried a few times and joked with him that my pregnancy hormones couldn't handle him being so sweet! Definitely a memory that I will cherish forever.
![]() |
| Note and flower |
![]() |
| When I was all done with the scavenger hunt, I had the most beautiful bouquet of roses and the sweetest collection of notes. |
To top it off, my sweetheart then made me some chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast before we headed out to church.
![]() |
| Delicious! What a treat : ) |
It's about trusting Him, and giving my whole life, whole heart and whole mind to him on a daily basis. My one and only job as a wife and as a Mother is to lose myself in Christ and what he wills for me every. single. day. If I do that, then the rest will come. My strength, selflessness, ability to be a "good" Mom, will all come from him. Oh how freeing it was to be reminded of that this morning!
We can't do all this on our own and we were never meant to. My prayer for all of you Moms and ladies out there is that you will all rest in this truth today and turn to the One who's desire is to make you into the wonderful wife and Mother that He wants you to be.
Happy Mother's Day!



This is beautiful Jessica :)
ReplyDeleteIt is a hard thing being a good mother and wife/significant other. I have had my troubles and I have head my triumphs, it is truly the most rewarding and frustrating, terrifying and humbling experience I have ever know. I worry about whether I am being a good mom, good example, good fiance etc....but then I always can tell, and so will you.....when your little girl looks at you and smiles that smile all little children have (one that not only happens with their mouth but lights up their eyes) it absolutely melts your heart, and your soul itself feels and knows that you are the mother that you were meant to be :)