Thursday, December 30, 2021

2021 Year in Review

 2021. What a year!

We went into the year oh so hopeful that we could start putting COVID behind us and return to "normal."

January through March was magical in every sense of the word as I enjoyed my maternity leave and almost a full month in Florida! It was a dream come true!!

Spring brought the vaccine which gave hope and comfort to many. It also ironically brought our family COVID, right as I went back to work. But thankfully we all weathered through it just fine (and in fact, Brinley and Rian never got it at all!). 

I adjusted to being back to work and enjoyed a few quite months as my boss had taken on a new job. Life adjusting to being working parents of three during a pandemic brought many challenges, tears and frustrations. 

However, we both work for amazing companies and we learned to take each day as they came. Weather through the hard days and bask in the peace and joy that comes when everything seems to be "humming along." 

We watched little buddy grow, begin to scoot and then begin to walk. We heard his first words, comforted him as his little teeth popped through and nursed him through many ear infections and illnesses (including RSV). We have delighted in his smile and giggle. He's such a joy and we couldn't be more grateful that God has blessed us with this wonderful third baby. We thank God for him many, many times per day. 

We also celebrated him turning one with family and friends. We watched him explore new things and fall in love with his favorite toy, balls. :) We enjoyed him playing with his sisters and watching them dote on him (and only slightly get annoyed, lol). We gave him his first bites of food and have cleaned up many, many, many messes and swept the floor more times that we can count.

Mama has spent many, many, many hours holding him and nursing him. Including at least one overnight session every. single. night. Ha! But I cherish those moments as I know how fleeting they are.

With Becca, we have watched her grow up so much this last year. Listened as she's understood and interpreted the world around her. Watched her determination as she learned to ride her bike. Saw her form her first B's as she learned to write her name. Watched her try so hard to keep up with her sister. Watched her love to perform and smiled over her "watch me's," "clap now" and "I am really good at that" modest comments. ;) We shed some tears over her struggles with daycare. Moving centers three times before running back into the loving arms of the teachers at Four Square. Watching her trepidation over teachers not liking her fade into joy and comfort with people who love her and friends who enjoy playing with her. That struggle was so challenging this past year but we couldn't be more grateful for where we ended up. Rebecca Faith Rayanne, you are a joy beyond words. You are going to do amazing things in this world and we can't wait to watch you continue to grow into the amazing person that God has made you to be. So take us a long for the ride, sweet girl. We are buckled up and ready for the adventure! :)

And our Brinley. It's been such a joy to watch you grow and mature this past year. We watched you flourish in dance, compete for the first time and find a home with something you really, really love. We watched your reading go from a struggle, disrupted so much by COVID, quarantine and distance learning. Working hard with Ms. Caroline all summer to reading your first chapter book and the cherry on top of the Sunday, reading the Christmas story at church on Christmas eve. Praise be to God!!! We watched your friendships grow. Getting your first training bra to wear under thin shirts (how are we here?!). Conversations about the "birds and the bees" on the way to horse camp. Being the busiest of all of us and doing all the things, all the time. To your kindness and your hugs. The conversations that we have that I really enjoy. Watching babysitters club episodes together. And truly basking in the young lady that you are becoming (although you hate to be called that!). I'm not going to lie, you baffle and frustrate me sometimes, but I could not be more proud of you. I want you to always know how much you are loved by me and dad, but also by God. Never let anything shake that confidence in yourself. And if you ever need a dose of confidence, ask your little sister. She's got some to spare! ;)

With Matt and I, we have both grown a lot individually and as a couple. We've had some struggles as we've adjusted to the stress of three kiddos, two full time jobs and a pandemic. But we've preserved. And we always can find reasons to smile and celebrate. We love our family time and our naps these days. We also yell less and love more. We truly enjoy each other and have grown closer and closer this past year. I couldn't imagine my life without you, babe and am so grateful for you.

I have loved watching you shine in your job and start to see your value and self worth the way that me and others have always seen. I also have hope that next year will bring drumming at church which will be a dream come true!!

As for me, I have drifted with priorities this year. Seeking joy in spending and stuff when I should be finding it more in the Lord. I've had some challenging reminders of that and hope that 2022 draws me closer to Him. I've recognized my blessings more though this year than any other year. I also have loved to watch God's perfect plan, especially for my job and trust in Him now more than ever (but it sounds scary still to say that.). 

I am constantly in awe though with how richly He has blessed us. Our three wonderful kiddos being the greatest blessings here on this earth. Jobs that we enjoy. A husband I truly love and adore. A warm, safe and beautiful house. Supportive and loving family. Good friends and neighbors. Four Square. I could go on, and on. We are constantly praying for continued health as we truly don't take that for granted.

What a year. God is so so good and we are grateful beyond words.

May 2022 draw us closer to Him and to one another!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2021 Year in Review

 2021. What a year! We went into the year oh so hopeful that we could start putting COVID behind us and return to "normal." Januar...