Miraculously though, I've had this amazing sense of peace and patience all week. This past Saturday was pretty rough and I had a few crying breakdowns due to impatience and fear that she would never come on her own and the beautiful natural birth experience that I had been dreaming of would never happen.
However, I've done a lot of praying and soul searching, and we also got some fantastic prayer support at church on Saturday night and I'm overall feeling a lot better about everything. Plus, since we are into 41 weeks now, we go in to have her monitored every 3 days and have been reassured by the wonderful midwives that she is doing absolutely fantastic, just apparently really content where she is at.
Being past my due date, I've done tons of research and learned so much about how common this is. When you get pregnant, no matter how hard you try, you can't help but focus on your due date as a gigantic finish line looming in the distance. You really do count down the weeks until you get to that momentous day and it's quite the let down when you go past it.
I can't even tell you how many times I've heard and read that it's not uncommon for first time moms to go longer, but it's one thing to "know" this and something completely different to experience it. You start to doubt yourself and your body and begin to stress out over all of the reasons why this is happening. These past few weeks waiting for baby has been an incredible roller coaster of emotions but I know that looking back I will be grateful for this experience. It's brought Matt and I a lot closer and also taught me to give up control and rely heavily on God. Sometimes turning over my doubts and fears on a minute to minute basis.
But we've made it, and with an induction scheduled for early next week, we know with certainty that our little one will be here within the week. A lot can happen between now and then and we are praying constantly that she will come on her own before then and we can avoid the hospital and a medical induction. Regardless of how all of this pans out, I just know that it will be okay and we will be holding our precious little girl on our arms very soon.
Even with this peace and patience, it hasn't stopped us though from doing everything we can to help encourage little bug to come out! And let me tell you, everyone and anyone has advice for us at this stage of the game. I'm actually pretty amazed sometimes at what people think is appropriate to say to someone just because they are past their due date. It's like pregnancy seems to give people a free pass to say whatever they want. I've definitely had to bite my tongue a few times when asked some very personal questions. Again, a lesson in tolerance I suppose. :)
I haven't taken a ton of photos of all the stuff we've done to keep busy but here's a few:
![]() |
| Having some fun at the grocery store just past 40 weeks. I thought it was great that my belly/baby is bigger than the watermelon now : ) |
![]() |
| List of things to "try" from our midwife to jump start labor, including castor oil which does work, but not at starting labor! Ha! |
![]() |
| Magic ginger labor tea, so far no success with that either. But these things have kept us busy, and hopeful! |



No comments:
Post a Comment