This year for Veteran's Day Matt and I had the honor of taking a very special vet out to lunch. Sal Giunta was in town speaking at General Mills and took time out of his incredibly jam-packed schedule to have lunch with us. Sal served with Josh and they were really close. He also tried to save Josh and is the reason we were able to bring him home and bury him here. For those of you who know the story, the Taliban were trying to cart Josh off after he was wounded in an ambush, but Sal stopped them and got Josh back. And although Josh didn't make it through surgery, his last few conscious moments were spent with the guys, brothers, he loved and not in the hands of the enemy. For that, our family will be forever grateful for Sal.
For his actions on that day and what he did for Josh and others in his unit, Sal was awarded the medal of honor. It's pretty incredible to see all that has come out of that fateful day and although we'd all trade it all for just one more day with Josh (or Hugo Mendoza who was also killed), I know that God had a plan in all of this.
After we took Sal out to lunch, I got to go hear him speak at General Mills. It was the first time I'd heard him speak publicly about all that he went through in the army and I must say, I was blown away. He is an incredible speaker and motivator. He told me before that he doesn't use any note cards and it's different every time. It's really incredible to hear him share as you can tell it comes from the heart. I know he never wanted to be in the position that he's in, but to see how much he has risen to the occasion and is making such an impact on so many is unbelievable. The good that he is doing for Veteran's and our country is incredible. I know Josh would be proud.
Overall, it was an incredible Veteran's day and it makes me so proud to be an American.
So here's to all of the Veteran's both past and present. We salute you!!!
![]() |
| Brinny and Sal |
![]() |
| Me, Brinny and Sal. Too bad Matt couldn't be in it as he was taking the picture. |
![]() |
| Sal's poster at General Mills |



No comments:
Post a Comment