Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mother's Day Eve Reflections

As I was putting my sweet little girl to bed tonight, I couldn't help but take a moment to reflect on how much life has changed in just a year's time. I distinctly remember last year on Mother's Day feeling so anxious, excited and a bit overwhelmed as I was about to become a "Mom." I was already starting to get impatient at that point and little did I know I'd have almost a month to wait. Ha!

But seriously though, I have learned so much in the past year and can honestly say that the gift of being a Mom has been the best experience of my life. And I say gift, because I truly believe that it is an honor and a privileged to be a Mom and I thank God every single day for Him choosing me to be our sweet Brinley Joy's mother.

Loving her, caring for her and being there for her as taught me so much about myself, my own selfish needs, wants and desires and what it truly means to love someone else. I believe you begin to learn these things in marriage, but the lessons are taken to a whole new level when you have a teeny tiny helpless person completely dependent upon you.

I'm also beginning to learn so much more about another dimension of God's love. We call Him abba or father, but it's hard to grasp what that means until you become a parent yourself. To hold a precious baby that is part of you and feel a love so powerful and strong that it physically hurts, it's impossibly amazing to think that that is how God loves each and every one of us. Just amazing.

For Matt and I, I believe it's strengthened our marriage as well. As many new parents can attest, the first year after baby is a really hard adjustment for a couple. We have to make time for each other, fight to keep our relationship healthy and strong, but we also have the best possible reason to do so. We both strongly believe that the best gift we can give our daughter is happy parents who love and respect each other. It's a lifelong commitment that Matt and I have agreed to pursue together and it's so worth it.

I also know more than ever that God placed Matt and I together for a reason and I believe that reason is sweet Brinley. He always knew she would exist : ) It's pretty cool when you think about it actually...

So as I sit here on Mother's Day eve and reflect on how much life has changed, my overwhelming emotion is feeling so incredibly blessed. I absolutely love being a mom and I wouldn't ever go back to life before our sweet girl. Yes, it's hard and to be honest with you some days I have moments when I don't really like it (I distinctly remember a few days ago when both Matt and I were battling a virus and just wanted to say in bed and we heard Brinley start to cry on the monitor. "Back-up, back-up, back-up" I croaked. But alas, no back-up came :)) but I love how much I'm growing and changing as a person and I absolutely love that there is a little girl named Brinley Joy Leibrock that has me completely wrapped around her little finger.

From her fluffy strawberry blonde hair down to her chubby little toes, she is the most wonderful thing that I could ever imagine. God has great plans for her, that I know!

So if I could turn back the hands of time and sit down with myself one-year ago tonight, I would tell her that she has no idea at all what she is in for, but it will absolutely be the most amazing ride of her life and she will be amazed that the amount of love and joy she will feel in motherhood is possible this side of heaven.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2021 Year in Review

 2021. What a year! We went into the year oh so hopeful that we could start putting COVID behind us and return to "normal." Januar...