Friday, March 5, 2010

Happy Birthday to Matt!

We celebrated another Birthday a few weeks ago, Matt's! Poor him though, his B-day was sandwiched in between two really difficult tests for his EMT class. But luckily we still managed to find time to celebrate.

On our big Birthday celebration night I made Matt two recipes from the Pioneer Woman web site. This woman had become some what of a phenomenon in the blogging world. I first heard about her from my sister-in-law, Dana. When I found the recipe for Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich I immediately called  her to see if she had ever made it and if she thought Mattie would like it. The first answer was yes, and the second was more of a "duh." A sandwich with steak and onions on toasted bread is right up my meat-n-potatoes boy's alley.

To accompany the sandwich I made homeade onion straws. Wowza, those were good. I have a weakness for all things fried that I can eat with ketchup and boy were these little puppies really really good. I even had another cooking first, I went out an bought a candy thermometer so that I could heat the oil to the proper temperature before putting in the onions.

The web site claims that the Marlboro Man Sandwich (I guess she calls her husband Marlboro man, hence the strange name) and the onion straws are works of wonder. I've even heard people say that if you make this sandwich for a guy he will be groveling at your feet! So of course, I had to try it...


Here's Matt in a completely euphoric state after devouring his first sandwhich; waiting for me to make him a second one. He even said that eating the first one was like an "out of body experience" all he remember is the fabulous taste!



The meal was so good that I didn't even get a picture of the food before we cleaned our plates!

I really enjoyed making this food for Matt, it's so nice to know that he really appreciates my efforts. And even though I overcooked the onions a bit and burnt one of the buns, he still said it was one of the best meals he's ever had in his whole life. Yup, I married a good one. : )

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out. I'm telling you - Pioneer Woman is the key to a man's heart! Love the first picture of him, hilarious! My brother does have a special passion for food.

    ReplyDelete

2021 Year in Review

 2021. What a year! We went into the year oh so hopeful that we could start putting COVID behind us and return to "normal." Januar...