Sunday, May 12, 2013

Tribute to my Amazing Husband

I wanted to make sure to dedicate a pregnancy post before the blog gets all taken over by baby to my wonderful husband and daddy-to-be, Matt.

When I married Matt almost four years ago, I knew he would be a great husband and awesome father someday, but seeing it actually happen has been nothing short of incredible. Being a first-time Mom, the whole pregnancy experience is a bit overwhelming. However, since it is your body, you are able to connect with the little one in a way that Dads just can't. Sure, us ladies have to deal with the hormones, weight gain, back aches, cravings, etc. But our husbands go through quite a lot too.

Not only are they trying to adjust to the idea of being a father and provider, but they have to love and support their wives as another being invades their body. They are the ones who faithfully tell us they love us, even when we are crying for no reason or biting their head off from those crazy hormones, putting on a few sympathy pounds right along with us (to help make us feel better ; )), rubbing the achy backs night after night until they think their thumbs will fall off, and going out at all hours of the day to satisfy whatever weird craving we might have. Honestly, there should be a pregnancy super-hero badge especially for the dad!

Matt has been absolutely wonderful and has definitely earned his super-hero cape throughout the past 9 months. He's been great at taking on more cooking and cleaning around the house (I haven't cleaned in two months!), as well as fetching me water, or a cupcake, or whatever I desire from the kitchen and overall just doing whatever it is I need him or ask him to do. He even baked me a cake one time after calling me from the grocery store and asking me if there was anything that I "wanted." My craving at the time was for yellow cake with chocolate frosting and sure enough, he came home and baked me one.

But beyond all of the little things, he's been such a trooper in listening to my crazy planning and nesting projects as well as partaking in hours of talking and dreaming about the future as a family of three. I've had a series of never-ending to do lists almost from day 1 and he just goes along with it. We literally cleaned out and organized every imaginable surface in the house (drawer, closet, storage unit, you name it!) our house was turned upside down for weeks and he never once complained. And when we were ready to put it all back together again, he hauled boxes, and rubber totes to wherever I directed him to go.

The last 9 months hasn't been an easy time in his life from a personal and work stand point either. He has kept up all of this at home while still working full-time, going to school part-time and serving as a paid-on-call fire fighter. Also, did I mention that I threw in a 10 week birthing class on top of his crazy schedule? Yup. And he of course faithfully attended it with me week after week. He's was even sweet enough to tell me one day that I've been a really low-maintenance pregnant lady. To which all of my family has laughed out loud over, not believing that could possibly be true.

I really don't want this to come across as bragging, but instead be a reminder to all of us ladies to celebrate the wonderful men in our lives. There are so many of us who are blessed with amazing husbands and in a culture that likes to unfairly put down guys and promote the idea of the "dead-beat dad," I think it's our job to thank our husbands for all that they do and let them know that we really couldn't do this without them. I for one, don't want to ever forget that.

So thank you Mattie, baby girl and I are very lucky to have you. And enjoy your rest while you still can, you've earned it!




No comments:

Post a Comment

2021 Year in Review

 2021. What a year! We went into the year oh so hopeful that we could start putting COVID behind us and return to "normal." Januar...