Sunday, October 6, 2013

4 years of wedded bliss!

Matt and I celebrated our 4 year wedding anniversary on Sept. 18. 4 years has truly flown by and it's been amazing how much we have matured as a couple.

I know that I've already said this on the blog, but before I got married I had a great young adults pastor that said that marriage is an excellent way to "make you more like Christ." When I first heard that statement, I had envisioned rainbows and butterflies and romantic nights by the fire, serving one another and being incredibly patient and kind because you were so in love with the "perfect" person. Turns out though, that what that phrase actually means is that marriage has a way of holding a mirror up to you and showing you all of the ugly, selfish, un-Christ like parts of yourself and making your change, pronto. It's not a fun process by any means, but a necessary one and one that ultimately creates a beautiful God-honoring marriage.

While Matt and I aren't all the way there yet (and probably won't get there even after 40 years vs. 4 years of marriage), both of us have grown and changed so much and I'm proud to say are more in love now then we were 4 years ago.

I continuously feel blessed that he is my husband and 4 years ago chose me to be his wife. And while not perfect, he's truly an amazing husband and father and I'm so honored to be his wife.

Okay, so enough with all of the mushy stuff. : )

This anniversary was particularly cool because it was exactly one year ago to the day that I found out I was pregnant. So crazy to see how far we've come and how much our life has changed in only 1-year's time.

Our anniversary was the day before I went back to work from maternity leave so we didn't do much to celebrate that day. In fact, I was having a bit of a freak out about going back to work and ended up taking myself out to the Mall of America for a blow-out and new earrings to help with the transition. Matt's gift to me that day was kind words, hugs and taking care of Brinley while I proceeded to melt down, over and over again.

Our real anniversary celebration came that Saturday night when we went to one of our favorite restaurants, Forepaugh's. You may recall that I blogged about the amazing place in one of my pre-baby posts. We had a fantastic meal, as usual. Now I'm not going to lie, it wasn't quite as magical as it was in my crazy pregnancy hormone state, but it was still one of the best meals that I ever had.

And of course we ended with the banana cream pie dessert which was heavenly. Here's a picture of our completely clean plate. We practically licked it clean. In fact, I was so embarrassed at how "clean" the plate was that I actually tried to convince Matt to let me stash it under the table so the waitress wouldn't clear it and see our finger streaks. I know, but try the banana cream pie dessert and you'll understand.


Apparently that was the only photo that I took to commemorate the night, but Matt and I had a great time just the two of us, hanging out and reminiscing about the past four years and the past few months in particular. We ended the night by sitting in the driveway and watching videos of Brinley on my phone and talking about how amazing she is. Love it.

And special shout out to my mom, who came up from Wisconsin to babysit Brinley so Matt and I could go out and celebrate.

Here's to 40 more with my love and best friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2021 Year in Review

 2021. What a year! We went into the year oh so hopeful that we could start putting COVID behind us and return to "normal." Januar...