Thursday, September 18, 2014

5 year anniversary celebration

In the midst of the craziness that was our September, Matt and I snuck away for a night just us two to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary. A big thank you to my dad and Robin for watching little boo for us so we could get a way.

It was so wonderful and I had just started my whole 30 the week before so although it was a challenge to stick to the program, I felt amazing after I did. We even got up in the morning on Saturday and worked out together which was wonderful.

The night before we went out to a great dinner and then enjoyed hanging out in our fantastic hotel room. The hotel we stayed at was brand new and the room was super modern and really awesome. Who knew less than 24 hours away could be so refreshing!

It was such a wonderful time for Matt and I to reconnect and reflect on all of the wonderful experiences that we've had together as a couple over the past five years. Our marriage thus far has not been easy, and while we've had some major trials on both sides, we have ultimately come through it stronger as a couple. And I pray that this will be the case for 55 more years!

Really, that is what it comes down to. You will always have trials, you will always have struggles. I believe that God designed marriage not to make you happy, but instead to refine you and make you more like him. Now don't get me wrong, marriage is also full of incredible joy and happiness, beyond what you can even imagine, but when you stop expecting the other person to "make you happy" that's when the true happiness begins. As wonderful as your spouse can be, they are still only human, but if we fix our eyes on God and receive the joy and happiness that comes from knowing his love, we can truly return that love to another. We give it freely, not out of what they do for us, but of what Christ has done for us. It's a beautiful picture!

So Mattie, if you ever end of reading this blog post, I want you to know that I have been so blessed to be your wife for the past five years. You are truly an amazing husband and father and my love for you continues to grow as we pass through every season together. You are my partner for life and I can't imagine riding life's ups and downs with anyone else. I love you!!!! Happy 5 years!!!

Gorgeous hotel room!
My handsome husband, taking it all in 
The bathroom was sweet!

Some wonderful moments from the past 5 years


No comments:

Post a Comment

2021 Year in Review

 2021. What a year! We went into the year oh so hopeful that we could start putting COVID behind us and return to "normal." Januar...