Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Whole 30 Log Part 1

So on Sept. 1, I decided to start the Whole 30 journey. After really bad eating during the summer and especially the last couple of weeks when I was on vacation, I had had enough of feeling crappy and tired all of the time. I wanted something to re-launch me into healthy eating that was way more than just losing weight. A friend told me about Whole 30 and I looked into it and decided to jump on board. For those of you who don't know, it's 30 days of no dairy, grains, legumes, alcohol, additives or added sugar. At all, zero, and no breaking the rules! It's by far the strictest diet I have attempted and it promises to change your eating habit, tastes and relationship with food. In fact, the website says "it will change your life." 

I was intrigued and as one who's always up to testing the limits of what I can and cannot do, I decided to take the plunge. So below are a few entries about my experience so far. I haven't kept it up everyday but it's all good. I'm just happy to be jotting down some thoughts from this awesome experience. 

Day 1: Sept. 1

I spent 3+ hours reading, researching and preparing to start today. I probably should have prepared more last night but read over the rules quick, figured I had organic eggs for breakfast, I could go grocery shopping in the afternoon, right? Well that was probably not the best plan as I was pretty overwhelmed by it all.

To be perfectly honest, I almost quit several times throughout the day. Why am I taking on such a strict plan when we have so many changes going on this week? But I needed it. I knew I needed this.

My first shopping trip was so frustrating. Every deli meat had sugar, all the bacon had sugar, coconut had sugar and I couldn’t find any coconut flour at Cub. I got the wrong curry paste (but at least it was compliant!) and went home feeling pretty depressed and hungry thinking “what the heck am I going to eat (and feed my family) for 30 days.”

However, I powered through and tried a new vegetable chicken curry recipe for dinner and it was surprisingly good. That helped. I thought okay, I can do this.

Day 2: Sept. 2

I felt kind of crappy today. Dull headache that wouldn’t go away and a bit crabby about my food choices. Had a sweet potato for breakfast, hot dogs for lunch and was planning on a coconut crusted fried chicken for dinner.

It was Brinley’s first day of day care so when I went to pick her up I decided to run to Valley Natural (they were closed yesterday) in search of sugar-free bacon and coconut flour. This was a good idea in theory, but she screamed the whole time and I ended up forgetting my phone in the store. Good thing the people at Valley Natural are nice and honest because I got my phone back. Thank the Lord!

However, this put me home late and led me to feeding Brinley ham and cheese for dinner because she was so hungry she couldn’t wait any longer! However, I did manage to pound, coat and fry the chicken and it was surprisingly delicious. As I sat down and ate my fried chicken with lime juice and hot salsa and a baked red potato with warm cinnamon apples, I thought okay. I can do this!

These last couple of days have been great about showing me that I can eat like this, but I know I need to pay more attention to proper portions (protein, fat, lots of veggies and occasional fruit) for now, I’ve just been eating whatever is compliant and I’m not sure that’s the best plan. However, it’s gotten me started and that was really hard.

Day 3: Sept. 3

I made sure to pack a lunch today and even cooked up some bacon before racing out the door. As I type this, I’m on my lunch break and feeling full and happy.

I think I will try making the curry cabbage dish for dinner tonight. My head still hurts but it’s not as bad as yesterday. Dreaming of the feel good days coming in hopefully in a little over a week. Reading about “tiger blood” makes me really want to experience it!

Day 16: Sept. 16

So I am officially over the half way mark and feeling really good! I do think I have a lot more energy and it has been fun to do lots more cooking and meal planning. Although it’s way more expensive than I ever would have imagined!

On Sunday, I made a double batch of chili and cooked up 3 lbs. of ground beef and 2.5 lbs. of chicken to have ready for quick throw together meals. Our staples so far have been a beef and cabbage curry dish and a chicken and veggie curry stir fry. They are super quick and easy and really yummy. I also have done some baked fish, fish fry’s and fried chicken which have been delish. I’m eating way better than I ever thought I would and am not hungry at all.

Also, the cravings haven’t been that bad although I really wanted a bite out of a pumpkin muffin at brunch on Sunday and I find myself missing cheese (for example on my chili I’m eating right now for lunch).

However, through all of this I’ve almost completely learned to disassociate food with fun. Which is really good for me. I used to really look forward to a beer on Friday nights or “treating” myself to pizza or cupcakes after a stressful day and am finding new ways to cope. Mainly realizing there are tons of other wonderful things in my life to look forward to vs. food. Such as getting really excited to grab Brinley in the morning and see her smile, or spend an extra 15 minutes reading a good book. Don’t get me wrong, I still really love food, but it’s a much healthier relationship.

Also I do have lots more energy. I used to feel like taking a nap at around 3 p.m. everyday but I have continued to feel really great and not even think about it. 

The hardest part for me honestly has been the no scale thing. I feel really good, healthy and strong and I think my clothes are fitting better, but it’s killing me to not know how much weight I've lost. This isn’t super surprising to me since I always knew I was way too focused on a number so it’s been really good to force myself to stick to this.

The other great revelation is that I can cook. I have made some really yummy meals that my family has enjoyed and it’s not that hard. It does take work and it does take planning, time and money, but it’s way worth it. I honestly see myself continuing to cook way more when this is over.

So there you go! Day 16 an loving life. Oh and I discovered some whole 30 compliant food at Chipotle yesterday which made me ubber happy! Barbacoa cooked in sunflower oil, hot salsa, medium salsa, guac and lettuce. It was delish and I didn't miss the cheese, sour cream, rice of beans one bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2021 Year in Review

 2021. What a year! We went into the year oh so hopeful that we could start putting COVID behind us and return to "normal." Januar...