I had talked to her the last time the day before Thanksgiving and she sounded much more like her self so in many ways, which was a really nice way to remember that last time speaking to her. She had also told my mom and Aunt Nancy that she didn't want to be here for Christmas and I have no doubt in my mind that she was subborn enough/strong enough to decide to let go and head home to heaven. She was quite spirited and tenacious and I know that has passed down to my Mom, me and Brinley :)
She was also the most loving and generous person you would ever meet and she will forever hold a special place in my heart. She was the best Grandma in the whole wide world and I will never ever forget her.
I spoke at her funeral and really wanted to highlight the joy of her life versus the sorrow we all felt at her loss. Loss in the natural world is a reminder that we were never intended to be separated from one another nor from God and also gives us the hope of God's promise that we will all one day be together again. Oh how we cling to that promise!
Here's my tribute:
My name is Jessica and I'm Gladys's granddaughter. I'm actually the first grandchild so growing up I was blessed to have the nickname of #1 granddaughter, perhaps to my brothers and cousins dismay (sorry guys) And in my Grandma's eyes this also meant that I could do no wrong, although I'm sure that wasn't the case.
Towards the end of her life, my grandma told us a bit more about what she wanted for this day and she made one thing clear, she didn't want this to be a time of mourning but instead a celebration of her life, and in my opinion a life well lived!
So I'm going to ask you to do something a bit unorthodox here, in a moment I'm going to ask you to stand and give my grandma a round of applause. She was truly an incredible woman who lived her life so selflessly and I really want to give her this last act of appreciation.
--- stand and applaud ---
Thank you, I'm sure she would be humbled and perhaps a bit embarrassed by the recognition, even from heaven, but remember, #1 granddaughter here, so I can do no wrong ; )
On a serious note, all of us are here today because we loved my grandma and she had a special impact on each one of our lives. I could spends hours and hours, relaying all of the wonderful memories that I have with her, but instead I thought it would be best to put it in a numbered list. She always loved tying in numbers with an occasion, 25 dishes on the table at Christmas time because it was the 25th day of the month, $119 dollars for my 19th birthday, and so on. So to honor her 86 trips around the sun, I've put together a list of my 86 favorite memories about my grandma. And don't worry, I won't read it now, but it's over there if you do want to read it for yourself.
In writing that list, I had the chance to reflect on who my grandma was and the legacy that she has left behind. Hers is a legacy of kindness, hospitality, never ending generosity and incredible selflessness. Her love and dedication to her family and friends is truly commendable. And I began to reflect on my own life and the legacy that I want to leave and I can only hope that it will be half as beautiful as the one my grandma left behind.
Knowing my grandma and the person that she was has made me a better person and inspires me to live more selflessly and be more loving and appreciative of the ones around me, and I encourage all of you to do the same.
To close, I'm going to leave you with one of my Grandma's favorite sayings, which I'm sure many of you, especially her former students, have heard before: Good, better, best; never let it rest, until your good is better and your better best!
So go and live your life to the fullest, take your good and make it better, and shape your own legacy and It is my sincere hope and prayer that we all may have the opportunity to live as full and rich of a life as my grandma did. Thank you.
![]() |
| Three generations of Krei women! |
![]() |
| So happy she got to attend my shower and make Brinley so many special keepsakes that we will always cherish |
| Love her smile and how proud she was of Brinley. I will always tell her about all the wonderful stories of Grandma "GG" |


No comments:
Post a Comment