Friday, January 15, 2021

First Quarter Update for Baby Ri-Ri!

So apologies in advance, little guy, the girls got monthly blog posts but you are likely going to get quarterly updates because well, ya know, life is pretty busy these days! But as a third baby, you definitely get that and have fit right into all of the chaos!

You are such a happy little guy and are so BIG! After we got you home from the hospital, you wore newborn diapers and clothes for a hot minute (read about 2 days) and then you were already into 3 month clothes and size 1 diapers. That first month you did the typical sleepy baby thing and just went with the flow of our crazy life. Your sisters continued to love on you every chance that they got and often fight over who's "Ri-Ri" you are. We settle that by remining them that you are all of our little Ri-guy!

You had your first smile just before the 1 month mark on Nov. 12th. Mommy was tickling your tummy and you gave me a real smile! Before that you had been doing this adorable little half smile. I called it your Elvis smile! It also reminded me of the side smirk that my cousin Josh, your namesake used to do. I like to think there's a little bit of him living through you! :)

Your biggest challenge during the early weeks was spitting up. You had quite a few projectile vomit incidents that would soak both of us in milk! I figured it was overeating and once my milk supply calmed down (I pumped almost 300 ounces of extra milk these first few months, no joke!) and your digestive system matured a bit, you'd be fine. But eventually we went in and got you checked out for pyloric stenosis, which thankfully you didn't have. 

You continue to be a bit gassy and fussy at times though and do have more curdy spit-up than your sisters did so Mommy is now cutting out dairy to see if that is what is bothering you. Let me tell you, going dairy-free is not easy for this Wisconsin girl but if it makes you happier and more comfortable then it is worth it! I'd do anything for you, little man. :)

You are also quite the talker and found your voice during this last month. You love to coo and make lots of noises. You also have always made little content noises while nursing. It's the cutest!

At the end of the first month you were blessed with a pretty intense case of baby acne. You also lost almost all of your newborn hair so you were pretty rough looking for awhile. Mommy felt so bad for you, you even had acne on your chest! I am hoping this means you got it all out of your system now though and your teenage years will be a breeze, ha!

You have always been a strong little guy and have lifted your head up a lot from the very beginning. You are not a fan of tummy time but will raise you head up when we hold you on our chest, so we count that. Plus, with your spitting up issues it's been hard to find the right time to put you on your tummy!

You are the only thumb sucker so far and prefer that to your paci, although you will take that on occasion. You figured out pretty quick that if Mommy is busy (which I often am with your two sisters!) then you can stick your thumb in your mouth and be okay. 

You "slept through the night" (read a 6 hour chunk) at just under two months old, but recently you've been back to eating every 2-3 hours, including at night which has been making Mommy really, really tired. But you are growing so darn quickly that it makes sense that you have to eat so much!

Here are your stats:

Nov. 11 (just shy of one month) - 10 lbs, 15 oz (82nd percentile) and 22.75 inches long (96th percentile). Head circumference of 15.75 inches (99th percentile).

Jan. 22 (just over three months) - 15 lbs, 2 oz (71st percentile) and 26.5 inches long (99th percentile) with a 17.25 inch head circumference (99th percentile).

I seriously can't believe how long you are and bet you are going to be super tall! Probably even taller than Daddy! I am secretly hoping you are 6' 2'' or 6' 3'' and a star quarterback! :)

The girls were always double their sizes (wore 6 month clothes at 3 months, etc.) but you are on track to pass them. At just over 3 months you are close to wearing 9 month clothes! It's crazy!

You also whizzed right through size 2 diapers and I had to move you into size 3 at just about 3 months old. But I'm truly not complaining. I am so happy that you are a big, strong and healthy boy.

When I first found out you were a boy I was a little taken aback as only having girls, I had no idea what I would do with a little boy. But you have completely stolen my heart, sweet boy. Your smiles and the way you grab my shoulder when I hold you. Your soft kissable cheeks, you are so amazing and we thank God everyday for the perfect gift that is YOU! Sometimes I get super giddy and just laugh and smile with how blessed we are to have a little boy. I just can't believe it at times and the emotion overwhelms me! Thanks be to God!!!

Daddy is completely smitten as well. He was a bit thrown too and worried if he'd want to snuggle you in the same way as the girls but you've stolen his heart as well. You are his little buddy, his "Mr. Pockets" and he is so thrilled to have his boy. He loves to watch football with you, is the best at getting you to fall asleep and you have a special smile just for him. His eyes light up every time he sees you and he must tell me 100 times per day how cute you are.

Recently you gave us another sweet gift, on Jan. 6, just shy of 3 months you had your first giggle! I was tickling your tummy again and you giggled! It was such a sweet little sound. We've gotten you to do it a couple of times since then.

You have also recently discovered your hands and are grabbing things a bit more. Your favorite toys are the frog on your swing (like your sisters before you, you like to talk to it), the dinosaur that Brinley got you for Christmas and the itsy bitsy spider book from Nana. You like how that one crinkles, I think. 

You aren't quite rolling over yet but are getting closer!

We all adore you, little buddy, and have many nicknames for you: Ri-Ri, Ri Guy, Little Buddy, Little Man, Bud-Bud (daddy's fav) and Mr Pockets (daddy explained to me that Mr Pockets means treasure and you are his treasure. How sweet is that?). I call you Buddy probably the most and you are indeed my little buddy because we spend all of our time together these days and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Love you sweet boy.

The girls always want to get in on your photo shoots :)

One month old and looking a bit grumpy!



Your adoring sisters!




You are definitely VERY loved!

Looking more alert!


Those smiles!

You definitely focus on us and talk to us more!


You and Brinley have a special relationship. She adores you and is a big helper. She always tells me how cute you are and wants to make sure she says goodbye to you every morning before school. You two are also going to share a room and she can't wait! (Let's see if that changes here soon, ha!)


Pic with the mama. My buddy!

3 months! Huge and definitely alert!


Maybe having enough of these sisters, ha!



Discovering those hands!

The first three months. Growing like a weed!








No comments:

Post a Comment

2021 Year in Review

 2021. What a year! We went into the year oh so hopeful that we could start putting COVID behind us and return to "normal." Januar...