The funny thing was we had it all planned out so that we would be able to see Matt's parents, my parents and my grandparents all within two days of one another. But then the weather surprised us and delivered more than a foot of snow on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. But in the end everything actually worked out better than we had planned. Matt and I even got to spend Christmas Eve at our own house, just the two of us. It really goes to show that it doesn't matter where you are, or what the weather is like, Christmas is really about being together with the ones you love.
Before I leave you all with some photos from our holiday travels, here's a rundown of how we spent Christmas and New Years. I unfortunately don't have photos from all of the events since my camera wasn't working half the time. But luckily I got a brand new camera from my Mom and Garry so expect lots more blog posts with lots of great photography in the future.
Dec. 18- To get in the Christmas mood Matt and I went to the Guthrie theater to see a Christmas carol. It was fabulous and for those of you who are Father of the Bride fans, Scrooge was played by Peter Michael Goetz who plays Brian's father John. I'm sure you all remember the dog kissing scene. : ) I am such a huge Father of the Bride fan so I thought this was WAY cool.
Then the night of the 18th we went over and had a dinner with Matt's family since his sister and brother-in-law and their adorable baby Adam were in town and we weren't going to be able to see them again until the Sunday after Christmas.
Dec. 24- Weather was too frightful to venture to WI to see my family. So we enjoyed a bonus Christmas with Matt's parents, Grace and baby Adam. It was really fun to see everyone since we weren't planning on that happening. We even got to go to Matt's parents church that night and hear his Mom sing a solo. She has an absolutely beautiful voice. It was a really special night.
After church, we went back to our house and Matt and I exchanged gifts and had champagne by the fire. We then stayed up late watching "It's a Wonderful Life" which I had never seen before. I absolutely adore that movie! And I totally feel like I married Jimmy Stewart, Matt is SO much like him and does a fabulous impression! We even got to wish eachother Merry Christmas at midnight.
Dec. 25- We got up bright and early and headed back over the Matt's parents house to open gifts with them before heading to Wisconsin. It was wonderful sharing Christmas morning with them. We even got to watch baby Adam open his first Christmas gift (he did get presents when he was 1 month old last year but I'm sure he doesn't remember them). Unfortunately he only opened one before he needed to go down for a nap. Oh well, there's always next year.
Christmas present highlights included Grace getting her Ipod touch, Dana getting her straightener (which she informed me she's in love with) and me getting this really awesome massaging seat warmer with a cigarette lighter plug in so that I can use it in the car. I think Matt's Dad was trying to bribe me into going up to Canada with the fam this summer but I can't be sure. Mattie also got a really neat book about the history of Minnesota sports which he adores. Oh and how could I forget my whoopie cushion!?!? The Leibrock clan (I hear it's from the Vanden Boom side ; )) is pretty, ahem, talented in their ability to make music from their lower extremeties (am I saying that politely enough? love you guys!) and Matt's dad thought that Phil and I should have whoopie cushions to even out the playing field. I spent most of the car ride to Wisconsin later that day singing Christmas carols and accentuating them with noises from the whoopie cushion. I made Matt laugh so hard that he almost drove off the road!
Well later that day we did make it to Wisconsin safely and I was so happy to be able to see my family. At my Mom and Garry's house we enjoyed an absolutely fabulous dinner of crab legs (my favoite) and fried shrimp (Mattie's favorite). We stuffed ourself silly and then Mattie and retreated to the living room to watch a very special Christmas present to ourselves, our wedding video. We spent the next hour and five minutes, laughing, crying and overall reliving all of those special little moments that made up the day that forever changed both of our lives. It honestly was the perfect ending to our perfect first Christmas as a married couple!
Oh, and I also got my new camera that day from my Mom and Garry which I am so excited about because now all of you get to see even more pictures!
Dec. 26- We got to sleep in (yea!) and then went to my Grandma's house in Marinette, Wisconsin. Ever since I can remember we've always gone to my Grandma's to celebrate Christmas and it just wouldn't feel like Christmas without going to see her. The weather was a bit iffy as we headed farther North but overall the drive was pretty good. I was worried about Matt having a heart attack though when we went through Green Bay and passed the signs for Lambeau field.
Anyway, we made if safe and sound and then had a fabulous dinner with my Grandma, Aunt Nancy and her boyfriend Doug. After dinner Doug even took us on a driving tour of Marinette and Menominee, MI. It was really neat to learn more about the town where my mother grew up. We then went out and saw a beautiful Christmas light display outside of town. Then we went back to the house for presents and to rest up for the long drive back to Minnesota the next day.
Dec. 27- We got back in the afternoon and by this time I was really not feeling well. I had started to get sick Christmas morning but was full-out feeling crappy Sunday night. We really wanted to show Matt's parents our wedding video so we headed over there anyway. In hindsight, this was probably not a smart decision since the following week Anne, Rob and Phil all had my cold. Sorry guys. : (
Dec. 31- Matt and I rung in the New Year with his aunts, uncles and cousins at a neighbors house in Apple Valley, we really had a blast hanging out with all of them.
Jan. 1, 2 and 3- Our "tour de Christmas" was completed with a trip to Chicago to have Christmas one last time with the Brennan side of the family. The hotel offered a free happy hour which my family definitely took advantage of. We had a few cocktails, lots of laughs, and overall a great time! We even got to see Matt's good friend Carson for part of the Vikings game on our way back home on Sunday.
Whew, I'm tired even writing this! : ) We really had a wonderful Christmas and New Year's and feel so very blessed to have so many wonderful family and friends to share it with! We love you all very much!
Happy 2010 everyone!
Happy Mattie by my parents Christmas tree
My new camera had automatic smile detector so Matt was helping me test it out
Mama!
The newlyweds by the Christmas tree
Brotha
Grandma!
Garry
Doug and Aunt Nancy
Being goofy
My husband, the Christmas red neck
Dad and I at the Brennan family Christmas
Matt and my Dad's butts. Don't ask!
Family huddle!
Matt getting pickled turkey gizzards in the white elephant gift exchange. Yum. We left them in the hotel, I hope the cleaning ladies enjoy them.
My cousin Christina wearing my white elephant gift, a cat suit from my Grandma! She said she meant to order pajamas with kitties on them but got the wrong thing! Enjoy Christina!
Mattie and Carson watching the Vikes dominate the Giants.
No comments:
Post a Comment